Update: 3/31/11: I wanted to take a minute and update you in detail about the events of the last few days. Caralee hit 28 weeks this past Sunday which was the initial goal set for her by her doctor.
On Tuesday, Caralee had her regular weekly appointment with her doctor. During the ultrasound, the doctor could visibly see her contracting so she was immediately admitted to the hospital for preterm labor. At that time, the expectation was that she would be there at least a couple days and more likely until the boys were delivered. They administered medication to help stop the contractions and monitored her closely.
On Wednesday, I received a call from Cara saying that the little baby “wasn’t doing well” and that a c-section would most likely take place very soon. This is when things started to change minute by minute. It was very back and forth for a while between doing a c-section and delaying a bit longer. Ultimately, it was decided that the risks to the babies were outweighing the benefits at this point and she was taken in for a c-section. The boys were born at 5:35 and 5:36pm yesterday. Luke, the bigger baby, was 2lbs 12oz and 15in long at birth. He was immediately taken to the NICU and Kenny went with him. Logan, the little baby, was delivered and weighed 12oz. Sadly, babies that are born this small are not viable. In fact, the tiny equipment they have for preemies is too big for a baby that is Logan’s size. After taking some pictures of Luke, Kenny returned to be with Caralee and Logan. They were able to spend time with him, have him blessed by a chaplain, my mom was able to see him, and they had a professional photographer come in and take pictures of them together as a family. He passed away after about an hour or two.
Luke is doing well, although preemies tend to have a “honeymoon” phase in the first couple days of life. He is currently ventilated so he can breathe. My sister said that his oxygen has gone from 30 to 21, which is a good thing. (I’m not clear on what these numbers mean…) Apparently 21 is the level of oxygen that you and I breathe on a regular basis so it is good that he is at this level. She said today that they may try to take him off the vent today and see how he does. Again, I can’t stress enough that these first few days are often a honeymoon period. While this news about his oxygen is certainly something to celebrate, he could be off and on the vent multiple times before he is released from the hospital. We also have no idea if he will have any other complications so we will just have to wait and see. We do not expect Luke to be out of the hospital and home prior to his original due date which was June 23rd.
Caralee’s pregnancy was certainly a wild ride and we are glad to be off of it. However, that only means that we have gotten on another wild ride that is just beginning. We continue to ask for your prayers, positive thoughts, good vibes, etc. We are blessed by the birth of both boys. We will love and remember Logan always and are elated at Luke’s progress so far. Thank you so much for all of the support that has been offered up to this point. We wouldn’t have made it through this process without that love.
Update 2/10/11:This week Cara had an ultrasound appointment and an appointment with the pediatric cardiologist. The two pieces of good news are that both boys still have heartbeats and their hearts are strong and healthy. However, the fluid levels are still not where the doctor would like them to be. Big baby still has too much fluid and Little baby still has too little fluid. Additionally, Little baby appears to have fluid on his brain and appears to be missing a structure in his brain that allows the left side of his brain to communicate with the right side. She will have an MRI soon to determine exactly what is going on with his brain. Cara is also now on strict bedrest and is only allowed to get out of bed to use the bathroom and shower. She and her husband have been blessed to be supported by family and friends with visits, meals and other help. If you are in the Phoenix area and would like to contribute in some way, please feel free to email me at email@example.com.
Update 2/1/11: Cara had her surgery today and all went well. The doctor is optimistic and felt the surgery went better than he expected it to. The next step is an ultrasound tomorrow to check and see how the boys tolerated the procedure. We are hoping and praying for two healthy heartbeats!
Update 1/25/11: My sister saw the specialist today and is scheduled for surgery on Monday, the 31st. They did cardiac echos on both babies and their hearts looked good which is good news. They are not out of the woods yet so please continue to offer up your prayers, positive vibes and good mojo. Specifically, please pray for a successful surgery that results in the survival of both babies as well as continued good health for my sister so she can carry the babies to at least 28 weeks. Thank you so much for the prayers and support my family has already received. We have no doubt that it has made a tremendous difference.
I’m not sure how many people out there on the interwebs are reading this blog, but if you are I would ask that you please pray for my sister, Caralee, her husband, Kenny, and their twin boys. Cara is currently about 19 weeks pregnant and was diagnosed today with intrauterine growth restriction/twin-to-twin transfusion. While every pregnancy is special and sacred, this one has been years in the making. Please pray specifically for the procedure she is to undergo tomorrow to be successful. Please pray for guidance for all of her health care providers. Please pray for peace and grace for my sister and her husband as they navigate through this difficult time. Please pray for continued health and growth for the twins. Thank you!